76 replies to this topic

#1 Rightfoot_sloth

Rightfoot_sloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:09 AM

Hi All - I have a work mate who is considering joining Rosanna Golf Club. has anyone played it or got any feedback about it ?

Thanks,
RFS

#2 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE: Rightfoot_sloth @ Oct 17 2005, 03:09 PM

Hi All - I have a work mate who is considering joining Rosanna Golf Club. has anyone played it or got any feedback about it ?

Thanks,
RFS

I haven't seen it since the Clayton work. Was always better than Heidelberg, now even more so apparently. Quite expensive to join and annual subs aren't cheap.

#3 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:17 AM

I have a mate who is a member there. The course was quite heavilly treed but with Chainsaw Mike down there, you can safely guess some of them wont be there for long. Pretty tough track, pretty friendly staff, nice place to play golf.

#4 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:27 AM

I might be a bit biassed but I think it may have just surpassed Kew (and Freeway Golf) as the top course on the Yarra. With more Clayton changes to come, it should only get better.

#5 KennyBear

KennyBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:23 AM

Oh ohh oh - pick me pick me.

Just founds this thread and feel I can contribute.

I have been a member of Rosanna for about 5 months. Before joining this club I did a lot of research as we do have some choices. I considered the following courses:

Kew: Very pretty course, quiet and well manicured. Tight but can be forgiving. Fee's not too bad but long waitining list. Have a mate who is a mbr so get to play 5-6 times a year. Noise from freeway.

Greenacres: Membership closed. Considered to be poor cousin to Kew.

Eastern: Sloped fairways, tight layout. Fee's on par with Rosanna. Did not like the fact you had to pony up nom fee and the pro Shop wouldn't let me have a sighter.

Heidleberg: Good test but woolly - not maintained. Hilly and have had a few long rounds. Great pricing deals on offer but would not recommend for mobility challenged people.

Yarrambat: Starting up a members club with preferential tee times. Cheap golf on good track but is a public course.

Growling Frog. Against popular opinion just doesn't do it for me. Couldn't see myself playing week in week out or nicking down for a quick nine. Plus on a 40 degree day they shut the bar on us without warning!

Rosanna: I reckon it's almost on par with Kew. The proposed course works may improve but as always there is some resistance to change. I am not in a position to comment. Well balanced mixture of holes with some long par 4's. Very peaceful course - no traffic noise. Good Pro Shop and facilities and a pro-active manager. Cons: Large playing membership with tee time pressure. Get in early or miss out. About a three year wait for 7 day membership.

All-in-all happy with my decision but it took me over 12 months to decide.

#6 undies

undies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:02 AM

Consider Latrobe as well, stakes up quite well against these clubs.

On Rosanna havent played their in years but back then it was always a goat track with shocking water logged, soft, bumby, uplayable greens.

Not sure if this has been rectified but Id be quite wary.

#7 VJ Stinks

VJ Stinks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:47 AM

I was a member there years ago and left due to finding the course boring, boggy in Winter, too expensive. I was also planning to leave Melbourne which was the final kicker.

I played there again a couple of months back and the course is far better now. Although it wasnt really a wet Winter, I played on a fairly rainy day and was surprised by the condition. They seem to have mostly fixed the boggy clay soil with truckloads of gypsum, they have sown new grass which will supposedly be better all year round, and the loss of trees (which is not really that noticeable, there are still thousands there) and reshaping of some holes makes it far more enjoyable to play.

The price unfortunately is still high, but you are now at least paying for a good golf course which should only get better. If and when I get back to Melbourne, I will be seriously considering rejoining.

#8 KennyBear

KennyBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, The guys tell me about the bad old days. Too many tees etc.

I have found the course to be less boggy than kew and the rain that closed courses last year afected Rosanna the least. Greens OK if a little slow and fairways pretty good.

#9 Hux

Hux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:02 PM

Is Rosanna GC everyone who decided to stay put when the others went to Yarra Yarra in 1927?

#10 KennyBear

KennyBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:39 PM

Off the web site:

Golf is first recorded being played in the area at Heidelberg in the 1890's on a 9 hole links laid out over part of present day Eaglemont and East Ivanhoe. In 1898 a club was formed and named Eaglemont Golf Club. Three golf clubs were to be formed that could trace its origin to Eaglemont, Yarra Yarra (1912), Heidelberg (1928) and Rosanna (1937).

In 1912 Eaglemont moved to a new site on 101 acres near the Rosanna railway station and changed its name to Yarra Yarra Golf Club. In 1928 the Club decided to relocate to the 'sand-belt' area which inspired a group of local members to leave and establish Heidelberg Golf Club. Soon after estate agents negotiated the sale of the Rosanna course.

The effects of the approaching economic depression were felt and the sale of the Rosanna property fell through and Yarra Yarra resumed ownership. The property was not used as a golf course until August 1930 when a public links was established. In the next few years the course was sold to at least two other syndicates, but in each case the sale was not completed. In 1934 a membership club was formed within the framework of the public links, when Major James McEvoy was elected president, and in March 1935 the 'Rosanna Glen Golf Club' was registered as a company.

Local businessman Mr Robert A. Treganowan purchased the property in 1936. In 1937 the Rosanna Golf Club was officially formed and leased the property from inaugural President Treganowan on extremely favourable terms. The Club prospered, but in 1962 the Committee of the day decided costs were too high to maintain the Club on its preset site and proposed to relocate. The Members agreed, and 139 acres situated at the junction of the Plenty and Yarra rivers were purchased for the purpose of constructing a golf course for the Club.

The layout of the holes and fairways would be in the hands of golf course designer Mr H.V. (Vernon) Morcom. Apart from the bare playing surface the area was one of natural beauty, a stand of fine old red gums in the car park on the hill near the main entrance provided an attractive backdrop of Australian eucalypts against the skyline.

In March 1965 the Governor of Victoria, General Sir Dallas Brooks officially opened the new Rosanna Golf Club. The Club assessed the 18-hole 6,726-yard course at Par 75.

#11 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE: understudy @ Nov 3 2005, 03:02 PM

Consider Latrobe as well, stakes up quite well against these clubs.

On Rosanna havent played their in years but back then it was always a goat track with shocking water logged, soft, bumby, uplayable greens.

Not sure if this has been rectified but Id be quite wary.

Latrobe is a shocking course (Yarra Bend is better). If it was a $20 public track, I'd get there about once every five years, and only because of a playing partner that needed something in the north east that close to town.

Can't comment on the "new" Rosanna, but it did used to be a bit boggy. Nowhere NEAR as boggy as Latrobe, which closes a few holes every winter on demand (members frequently have to play a 12 hole comp), and was literally sailable in a boat for a week last November. Many greens were as many as ten feet underwater.

#12 growler

growler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:14 AM

I have played numerous times at Rosanna when visiting a friend who used to be a member at Rosanna. The course never inspired me or my mate and he has now moved on to another club. Just too wet in winter, very difficult to enjoy playing a muddy track. Any sign of rain and the place seems damp, so typical of the courses along the Yarra River.

Remember often hearing that serious golfers living close to Rosanna felt it more advantageous to spend time travelling to Northern instead.

Better courses elsewhere, accept a little travel and look around. From memory membership is on the steep side for a course that isn't really playable 365 days a year.

#13 VJ Stinks

VJ Stinks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE: growler @ Nov 6 2005, 09:14 PM

Remember often hearing that serious golfers living close to Rosanna felt it more advantageous to spend time travelling to Northern instead.

Serious golfers and Northern? laugh.gif
These should never be used in the same sentence unless you are telling a joke.

#14 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE: Rightfoot_sloth @ Oct 17 2005, 04:09 PM

Thanks,
RFS

Where do they live and where do you guys work?

#15 mac

mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:00 PM

Growler,
I get out Rosanna a bit and I cannot remember the last time it was wet.
When all the Yarra courses were flooded it was the one that was still playable.

It's a much better course now 9 is a good hole - formerly one of the worst of all time - and the new short holes,3 and 6 are improved as is 18.
When the plan of building 18 new greens is finished it will easily be the best course north of the city.
Still the poor holes in the middle of the back 9 really let it down badly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users